Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Recipe 11: Snow Ice Cream

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

            A few weeks ago, my city experienced a massive multi-day snowstorm that covered us in 12” – 18”.  This was highly unusual for our area, and no one quite knew how to deal with it.  Snowplows were overburdened, schools and businesses were closed, and everyone was posting about it online, including me.

            Somewhere in my flurry (heh) of Facebook status posts, my friend Tonya suggested I take the time to make Snow Ice Cream.  I had no idea what she was talking about.  I’d grown up in central Texas where snow wasn’t a thing, and Snow Ice Cream isn’t something you see in a restaurant.  Tonya, being super handy with urls, quickly sent me a recipe, the ingredients of which were snow, milk, vanilla extract, and sugar.

            I thought it looked disgusting.

            Reviews bluntly stated what I was thinking: this was not an ice cream meant to be delicious.  It was just meant to be fun.  As one reviewer stated, “Snow ice cream is not about creamy, gourmet ice cream.  It’s about gathering snow together in between making snow angels and snowball fights, celebrating winter, and making memories.”

            Quite frankly, I didn’t want to waste my time and ingredients on this weird-looking ice cream, and I didn’t want to try it.  I figured it’d be slushy and gross – kind of like sweet, icy milk.  So I basically fobbed Tonya off and went back to making that week’s ice cream, Margarita Ice Cream.

            However, as the snow iced and melted, I kept thinking back to that ice cream.  It seemed a shame that I hadn’t even tried it.  What if it was secretly good?  Wasn’t the point of this blog to try new things?  What kind of ice cream maker was I if I didn’t even want to try Snow Ice Cream?  So I promised myself if it snowed again this year I would make Snow Ice Cream.

            Guess what’s happening tonight?


            As soon as I remembered my internal promise, I grabbed a bowl and a camera and ran outside, utterly bewildering my sister and girlfriend.

            First I gathered a big bowlful of snow (The recipe calls for at least 8 cups.).





            Then I ran back inside and gathered the necessary ingredients – milk, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract (The original recipe only needs milk, but I didn’t have enough.  Cream is a good substitute.).


            Ignorant of how long it would take snow to melt inside (like I said, I’m from Texas), I quickly started throwing in ingredients.

            First went the milk and heavy cream.


            Then in went the sugar.

            And finally the vanilla extract.


            I stirred everything together vigorously, still inanely worried about disrupting the snow’s integrity by stirring too much.

            And voila!  Snow Ice Cream!


            Snow Ice Cream is weird.  It’s definitely not creamy or gourmet.  In fact, it’s rather grainy, and the sugar never truly gets incorporated.  If, like me, you’re slightly worried about stirring too much, you can get big chunks of sugar.  And if, like me again, you just throw everything in haphazardly, you might get inconsistent flavoring, but stirring fixes that.

            For all of that, it’s pretty tasty and refreshing, like a watery, chunky vanilla milkshake.  The texture is so weird that you can’t get mad at it for not behaving like normal ice cream – it’s just way too far from normal.  It melts really fast on your tongue, but that means you just want to eat more and more.  My sister, girlfriend, and I just stood around the bowl scooping up spoonful after spoonful and taking shots of it.  It was actually a lot of fun.


            So I guess it was worth trying.  Next time, I’d like to plan it a little more and take my time adding the ingredients.  I’d also like to invite some friends over and make more of an event about it.  But I am really glad that I tried it so, thanks, Tonya, for suggesting it and tricking me into eating an excess of P. Syringae.



            For anyone who’d like to try it, the basic recipe I used comes from allrecipes.com.  You can find it here.  My only change was that I used 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.  Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment