Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Recipe 9: Margarita Ice Cream (No ice cream maker needed!)

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

            Today I’m going to tell you how to make Margarita Ice Cream, a really delicious, really sweet ice cream that you don’t even need an ice cream maker to make.  Be warned: it’s a slightly irritating recipe.

As my Facebook friends know, this is my second attempt making Margarita Ice Cream.  It was actually the first ice cream I tried making way back in December, but I wasn’t too sold on the final product and I hadn’t started my ice cream blog yet so I wanted to remake it.

            Ultimately, Margarita Ice Cream is really easy to make but a little bit difficult to get exactly right.  The only emulsifier it has is the fat from cream, and there’s a shot of tequila in it, so you have to worry about making it too runny (Remember: alcohol won’t freeze – at least not in the temperatures you can easily generate at home.).  The first time I made it, I didn’t let it churn long enough so it never really set right, basically resulting in a runny margarita milkshake.  This time, I left it in the machine for over 30 minutes and froze it for two days before serving.  The resulting texture was still soft like soft-serve, but it didn’t instantly melt either.  Without creating an actual custard base, that’s probably the best texture I can expect.

            The second complication is getting the flavor just right.  The first time I made it, I didn’t calculate for the sugar in the margarita mix I was using and the resulting ice cream was extremely sweet.  It was edible, and my sister and girlfriend liked it, but I wasn’t quite satisfied.  This time, I was much more careful and very slowly added the powdered sugar, making sure that it wasn’t too sweet.  However, I’ve since discovered that I don’t much care for powdered sugar in ice cream.  It’s simultaneously dry, slippery, and hyper sweet.  Internet research has been surprisingly unhelpful in figuring out why this might be, but I would personally recommend trying another type of sugar.

            That being said, Margarita Ice Cream is a really cool idea and very good in small amounts.  It actually tastes like a margarita with a slight hint of tequila that I really love.  Sprinkle a pinch of coarse salt on top, add a bit of lime zest, and eat with a gingersnap cookie and you’ve got a delicious treat – so long as you don’t mind something sweet.

            The following recipe comes partly from the Food Network, partly from Wendy at The Weekend Gourmet, and partly from my own modifications.

Ingredients
  • ½ cup margarita mix
  • 2 tablespoons tequila
  • 2/3 cups powdered sugar (or to taste)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • Lime for zesting
Directions
  1. Pour the margarita mix and tequila into a bowl.  Mix together.  Add in the powdered sugar and stir until it dissolves.
  2. Add the cream and softly whip together until thick and smooth but not stiff.
  3. Cover and refrigerate overnight (Also possible to freeze overnight and make without an ice cream maker.).
  4. Pour into an ice cream maker’s canister and freeze according to directions.
  5. After churned, put into an airtight container to set.  Leave to set at least over night, preferably longer.
            And that’s it!  If you choose not to use an ice cream maker, the result will be pretty soft and melt very quickly.  Freeze your serving bowl beforehand to keep it from melting too quickly.

            This ice cream is one that I love on principle but that I don’t think I’ve gotten quite right.  Everyone that tries it likes it, but I don’t think it’s something that you could eat a pint of; it’s really more of a special event type.  Personally, I’d like to find a way to make a custard base and use granulated sugar.  If I could just get rid of that powdered sugar taste and get it a little harder, it’d be perfect.

Overview
  • Base prep time: 10 minutes
  • Base chill time: overnight
  • Ice cream set time: at least overnight, preferably two days
  • Taste: sweet and slippery with a pleasant tang of tequila and time; strong powdered sugar taste
  • Difficulty level: low to medium
  • Expense level: low to medium
  • Makes: about 3 cups


No comments:

Post a Comment