Thursday, February 19, 2015

Recipe 8: Turtle Cheesecake Ice Cream


Thursday, February 19, 2015

            This week’s (or last week’s, to be more precise) ice cream recipe is a variation on the previous week’s Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream.  My sister wanted to celebrate Galentine’s Day (February 13) with some gal pals, one of whom suggested I make Turtle Cheesecake Ice Cream.  As you saw in the Blueberry Cheesecake recipe, I wasn’t too thrilled with the blueberry inclusion but really loved the cheesecake base.  This was a great opportunity to see if I could get the recipe as smooth and creamy as I traditionally like (Spoiler alert: I did.).

            As far as I can tell, there isn’t a readily available Turtle Cheesecake Ice Cream recipe out there.  There are cheesecake ice cream recipes and turtle cheesecake ice cream pie recipes and turtle cheesecake recipes, but turtle cheesecake ice cream just doesn’t exist, so the following is a recipe that I made up on the fly (and that I think turned out quite deliciously).

Ingredients

  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 12 ounces full-fat original cream cheese, softened
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 - 3 tablespoons caramel
  • 2 – 3 tablespoons chocolate sauce or fudge
  • 2.25 oz pecans, roasted
  • Optional: chunks of turtle candy
Directions

  1. Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until smooth.
  2. Combine the milk and cream in a heavy, medium saucepan; bring to a gradual near-boil.  Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
  3. Gradually add hot milk mixture to cheese mixture, adding in approximately ¼ cup at a time (Be careful not to dump in too much and cook the egg.), stirring constantly with the beater until all has been incorporated (It will get very frothy.).
  4. Return mixture to pan.  Cook over medium heat for approximately 10 – 15 minutes, stirring constantly.  Be careful not to curdle the eggs and remove from heat when mixture sticks to the back of a spoon.  Remove from heat and cool completely, stirring occasionally.
  5. Refrigerate several hours (or overnight) until mixture is very cold.
  6. Before you churn the ice cream mixture, chop up the pecans into varying sizes.  Put them in a frying pan and cook them until aromatic at medium temperature.  Set aside to cool completely.
  7. Pour mixture into ice cream maker’s canister; freeze according to instructions.  At the 15 and 25 minutes mark, add a couple heaping tablespoons of caramel and fudge (Add to taste.  It can get very sweet if you add too much.) and the roasted pecans.  Allow ice cream to finish churning.
  8. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze for three hours or until firm.
  9. Optional: Add chunks of turtle chocolate candy along with the caramel, fudge, and pecans.
            This ice cream turned out great and tasted exactly like a piece of turtle cheesecake.  The caramel, fudge, and cheesecake blended beautifully with no one flavor overpowering the others.  The base was incredibly creamy and smooth if a touch dense (most likely due to all that cream cheese).  It was really delicious and great fun to eat.  I just have two (mild) complaints.

            The first is that I wasn’t able to get the fudge/caramel swirl I’d hoped for, but I think this is a failing of my ice cream maker (Sorry, Javier).  I just don’t think she churns fast enough or cold enough to get a good swirl.  A possible solution is to use that Magic Shell chocolate though I think that will just make hard chunks instead of swirls.  I may just have to give up my swirl-filled dreams.

            My second complaint is that I thought it was verging on a little too sweet.  If I make this again, I might decrease the amount of sugar I add initially or add less fudge and caramel.  That being said, my friend Katie (the original requester) loved it and actually added more fudge and caramel to her bowl!  So for those people with a sweet tooth, this could be the perfect ice cream.

Overview

  • Base prep time: 30 minutes
  • Base chill time: overnight
  • Ice cream set time: at least three hours
  • Taste: creamy and sweet with distinct yet complimentary flavors of cheesecake, caramel, and fudge.  A little dense.
  • Difficulty level: low to medium (low if you’ve made a cheesecake or custard base before)
  • Expense level: low to medium
  • Makes: approximately 8 cups

No comments:

Post a Comment