Monday, May 25, 2015

Recipe 23: Peach Pit Swirl Ice Cream

*Please excuse the delay in this recipe.  I have various people choose what recipe to do, and if they take too long, my posts are delayed.  I’ll continue to try to prevent this, but thank you for your patience.

This past week, my sister requested that I make her peach ice cream.  According to this handy season fruit chart, peach season had finally arrived, so I thought it would be a snap to find and make a peach ice cream recipe.  Unfortunately, that was not the case.  Peaches are not quite prevalent in the local grocery stores and markets, and it turns out that people have a lot of different recipes for peach ice cream.  I also don’t know if I’ve ever actually had peach ice cream, so I couldn’t quite figure out which of the many recipes available were any good.

As a result of my ignorance and the somewhat sparse pickings, I’m afraid I didn’t choose a very good recipe.  I went with one from Scoop Adventures called Peach Pit Swirl Ice Cream.  Evidently, creating a base with peach pits in it flavors the milk and heightens the flavor of the peach you add later.  Supposedly, it’s the most effective way of getting a peach flavored ice cream while reducing the amount of ice crystals in it.  Supposedly.

However, I thought that the milk and cream tasted slightly metallic, not slightly peach-y.  This might be because I didn’t reheat the milk afterwards, but it might also be because the peaches (and pits) simply weren’t ripe enough.  The butterfat content was also a bit too high (18.6%), and the peaches ended up getting too ripe after I made the peach swirl so I had to throw them away (I ended up using a peach-apricot preserve I got from the store instead.).  Ultimately, it was a mess.

Therefore, I’d really rather not write up the blog post because, even though the pictures look really nice, it’s not an especially tasty or enjoyable recipe.  If you’re interested in Peach Pit Swirl Ice Cream, I recommend you click on the link above and check it out.  I would also recommend you wait another month before trying to cook something with peaches.  While it may technically be peach season, unless you live in a big peach state like Georgia or South Carolina, there may not be anything good in the stores.

However, I have every intention of trying to make another peach ice cream this summer.  A friend recommended that I try to make my own recipe, and I’ll probably do just that.  So if you check back here by August, you should be able to find a good recipe.  Sorry again for the delay and the disappointment.  :C

No comments:

Post a Comment