Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Saga of the Toasted Marshmallows

Monday, January 26, 2015

            This past week I decided to make S’mores Ice Cream, a delicious concoction filled with gooey marshmallow, crunchy graham crackers, and tasty chocolate chunks.  While there are many different incarnations of S’mores Ice Cream, the one I chose has a vanilla base with s’mores chunks in it (differentiating from ones with a chocolate base or that mix the s’mores together for a more muddled ice cream with fewer distinctive flavors).  It also calls for broiler-toasted marshmallows, giving the marshmallows that crisp, smoky flavor that you get when toasting them over an open fire.  ‘Great!’ I thought, ‘I love toasted marshmallows!’  And it’s so easy!  Turn your broiler on high, pop in a pan of marshmallows, and in a couple of minutes you’re good to go.  However, as I (and my Facebook friends) quickly found out, it would not be so easy – heartache lurked around the corner.  And so that you may learn from my sorrows, I present


            The night started off well enough with a simple gathering of ingredients: salt, vanilla extract, marshmallows, milk, heavy whipping cream, sugar, chocolate bars, and graham crackers.  I deftly prepared the vanilla base and put it and the canister in the fridge to chill.  My captive Facebook audience waited with baited breath for my updates.


Then I turned my attention to toasting the marshmallows.

            According to Add a Pinch, the source for this recipe, the way you make broiler-toasted marshmallows is “Place marshmallows on a baking sheet and broil for about 3 minutes, taking care not to burn.  Remove from oven and allow to cool.”  Subsequent sources confirm that the broiler temperature should be high.  However, I’ve broiled things before (asparagus and garlic bread), and I know how fast the broiler can cook things.  I also know that leaving a marshmallow in the microwave for longer than 30 seconds will destroy it, so I was wary and decided to put the marshmallows in for a scant 2 minutes.  Two minutes later, the timer rang, smoke bloomed from my oven, and I discovered this sad mess:



            Naturally, I posted the results on Facebook and was met with a treasure-trove of support.



            Bless my friends.

            Undeterred, I gathered my remaining serviceable pan and marshmallows and popped them in the oven, vowing upon all that was custardy and sweet that the tricksy buggers would not leave my sight.



            I watched and I waited, my eyes trained upon the tops of my marrowous mallows.  Slowly, almost unnoticeably, the tops began to expand, ballooning out like mushrooms.  The heads darkened, just a touch, then a shade, then a hue, and I shouted, “They’re done, turn off the broiler!” and whipped open the oven.

            And there they were, my precious wee ones.  My broiler-toasted marshmallows.



            And guess what folks?



            The second batch was perfect, and the hints of smoky sugar swirling in the ice cream were well worth my thoroughly ruined pan.  However, I did learn one very valuable lesson:




            Also: marshmallows broil for 30 seconds, guys, not 3 minutes.  Same as the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment